Re: 7x17 negs in pyro -- Jobo success?

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 02/28/01-01:22:22 AM Z

Michael Mutmansky wrote:

>>I have a Jobo and been having no problem with uneven development with
>Tri-X in D-76 in the print tubes for my 7x17 negatives. Now I want to
>try pyro, so I thought I would revisit the question one more time:

What kind of uneven development are you getting?

>Is anyone having success using Pyro (ABC+ or variants) in a Jobo
>processor? I know using the Expert Drum will work for 8x10 and smaller,
>but my application is for the somewhat largish 7x17. Has anyone tried
>using a large frosted mylar insert with notches to hold the negs in
>place? I thought that may be a suitable method to eliminate the
>unevenness from the back of the film, and still allow the negative to
>get the antihalation dies removed.

I have developed 7x17 film in both smooth wall ABS tubes and in print drums
with ribs and both have worked fine for me with the pyrocatechin staining
developer that I use for most of my work. Others have observed that with
PMK and ABC+ they get a line of density build up at the point where the
film touches the ribs with drums, but I have personally not experienced
this. With the tubes and drum I always load the film wet (or wet the back
during the presoak) and presoak for 5 minutes.

If you are not already committed to the pyrogallol developers I suggest you
consider using the Pyrocat formula (you can see it at
http://unblinkingeye.com/). At the 1:1:100 dilution it works almost
identically to PMK and at 2:2:100 like ABC+. It has much less tendency to
cause uneven staining than the pyrogallol developers and gives more
effective film speed than either PMK or ABC+.

Sandy King