Re: Hydrogen Peroxide oxidizing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/28/01-09:28:45 PM Z

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Randall Webb wrote:
> ... Its only real use is to do
> a cabaret act by putting a few drops in cyanotype wash when doing a
> demonstration. ( Judy , tell me if it is accelerating the oxidisation
> or whether it is totally pointless exercise.)

Randall, I bet you say that to all the girls. But you wouldn't BELIEVE
how many sources, I mean real bound TEXTS in FULL COLOR, still call that
cyanotype INTENSIFICATION. There's a fellow at ICP who shall be nameless
owed me a steak dinner these 10 years (sorry vegetarians) because I told
him to tear a print in half, put half in the "intensifier" & half in the
drawer and compare a week later. (He never mentioned again.)

which is to say, the peroxide oxidizes (that's the PER in the OXIDE,
maybe) right off what otherwise takes several days. And you can read in
P-F #5 my own discovery (tra la, SUCH excitement!) that tho I used to
think the print was done when it looked dark the next day, it actually got
visibly, perceptibly darker for maybe 2 or 3 days, so I often had to
revise "conclusions" when I went back to them. If you follow me.

> As to whether it is archivally stable - who cares? If somebody comes to me

WHAT is archivally stable? (Pas mois. I'm unstabler every day.)

Judy