Re: First kallitype

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 01/01/01-07:01:04 PM Z

Hello eveyone,

Happy new year!

Judy the reason one would use salt prints over any other process is academic
in the fact that the media is a means to an end. This could spiral into a
debat like those god aweful, "What's better Tri-X or Goofy Pan developed in
cherry juice". To state oit simply, some images look better made with salt
prints. When I was printing conventional silver paper, I would have boxes of
three or four different makes on hand. Each of these different papers have
its own particular feel, color and texture that could make or break an
image. Why would this not be the case with alternative (why do we call it
alternative?) processes. I submit, the difference between a "picture" and a
"meaningful image" is contained within the subtlties of the printing. Why
not try to see which process would make the image sing? Of course the image
has to be worth something or it doesn't matter what process you print, it is
still a bad image. To quote St. Ansel, "There is nothing worse than a sharp
picture of a fuzzy concept."

Salt is just as easy as VDB and one hundred times harder. It is very easy
to pull a image. It can be very difficult to tweek it that extra bit that
adds that "something extra". For me, I like the pallet of colors. I am
particulary found of the purple grey that one can get when using an alkylen
gold toner. My preference for salt is purely personal and subjective.

As stated, there are beautiful salt prints and there are not so good looking
salt prints. Could this not be said for every process? I have seen early
platinum, kallitypes and others that were as plain as home made soap. There
is no fine line between those who simply make a picture and the person
dedicated to craftsmanship. There were hacks in the 1800's making images,
just as there are today.