Re: Piezography

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 01/02/01-11:35:18 AM Z

> Larry and Peter, Which printers are you using? Also, what is the
> optimum
> resolution of the files you are printing. My understanding from
Epson
> and
> others (much discussed on this list) is that an Epson 1440 DPI
printer,
> prints most precisely with images at 360dpi. Is there anything to
> discuss
> here?
>

> Many Thanks,
>

> Nick
>
> "Your Image is Our Business"
> 707-785-2085
> fax 785-3435
> http://www.mcn.org/k/nick

Forget what Epson tell you as their software is not up to the job. I'm
using an Epson 1160, modified to continuous ink feed and the Cone
Piezography plugin for Photoshop. This drives the printer at higher
resolution and employs a much improved dithering algorithm. The inks
used are pigment based and use 4 blacks. You can also use this stuff
with an Epson 3000 and I think they are working on kit for some of the
6 color Epsons - which should be even more capable.

For best results, Cone recommend 720 dpi resolution at output size (or
even more), but anything above 360 is acceptable. I've mainly been
using around 5-600 dpi.

In fact I've just made a print from a small file, so I had to use
200dpi and it is really very good - perhaps just a very slight loss in
sharpness.

Looked at very coldly in strong light, some of the prints are not quite
perfect. Some show a trace of banding in some areas. I'm not sure if
this is because the printer head was slightly out of alignment for some
of the first I did or if the latest driver update has solved the
problem. Paper thickness does make a difference. I've yet to find a
paper that handles quite as well as a normal photographic paper paper -
even those of similar weight seem less substantial. The glossy surfaces
pick up marks even more than normal photo paper. However the results on
the enhanced Somerset really impressed me.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/