Re: film reticulation and lens website

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/19/01-11:16:18 PM Z

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Nick Makris wrote:

> In reading through these posts and reflecting upon similar failures when
> attempting film reticulation, it occurred that the key here was to heat the
> film with hot liquid before you fix it. Perhaps if you use a non-hardening
> fixer the process would work after fixing.
>
> Just a thought,
>
> Nick

Nick, you may have got it -- Your comment reminds me that I had a student
once who successfully reticulated film (after yellow & green fathers had
made it so difficult) and that was the key -- before fixing. Tho at some
point of the process film also went -- not in the fridge, but into the
FREEZER.

I'll add that I too once got exquisite reticulation when not intended --
my most determined attempt to roll 35 mm onto stainless reels. Got two
coils onto same track somehow, and splendid reticulation... but for once I
knew better than to try a repeat. I switched to the plastic wiggle'em
reels, and never another "accident."

best,

Judy