Re: Arista/Illford v. TriX

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/20/01-04:49:21 PM Z

Chris,

IF Arista is *really* HP5+ it will resist most attempts to raise
contrast to platinum levels, especially POP-Pt/Pd (z-word) levels. PMK
pyro is the obvious first possible answer. ABC+ pyro for rotary
processing will also do the job. ABC+ in trays can even raise the gamma
too high (trust me, I've done it) but could be a good answer with very
careful time/temp control. I've also had surprisingly good results from
rotary processing HP5+ in straight D-76: at around 12-14 minutes 70
degrees this has produced lower base fog and longer straight line curve
sections than any other HQ developer I've tried (with an amazing
increase in film speed, allowing exposures, even for Pt printing, at a
true ei 400). Whether the combo works well in trays, I haven't tested.
HC110 doesn't do the job--extending development tends to move the whole
curve to the right--great if you want a true film speed push, but
useless for raising gamma to Pt/Pd levels.---Carl

PS: The only thing better than TXT/HC110 is TXT/Pyro. But TXT,
especially in exotic sizes or compared to Arista, is expensive enough to
inspire thought of compromise.

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/