Re: coating cyano

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/25/01-10:35:39 PM Z

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:

> ... the white blobs where the
> cyanotype solution puddles seem to be due to the self-masking effect that
> occurs beneath the orange potassium ferricyanide crystals that form in such
> areas. It is fun to puddle the solution on purpose sometimes to see what
> happens.

My "explanation," perhaps a different way of saying the same thing, was
that the thicker layer of emulsion didn't permit light to penetrate to the
layer in contact with the paper, so upper part (hardened into skin,
perhaps), simply washed off. I suppose it would be possible to test by
giving LONG exposure to puddled cyanotype, but no doubt excessive.

> ...I have used this phenomenon for atmospheric effects in a recent
> print using desktop negatives.

Ahhh, brilliant.

But what, pray tell, are you printing those desktop negatives on? I've
just gotten an inkjet running (also disappearing, VERY tricky connection,
and "I" is lie, installation courtesy of a friend), but preliminary tests
have not as yet provided useful negative material... I hadn't wanted to
wax plain paper -- looking for something more translucent, even
transparent, because I re-register on light table. The waxed paper exposes
gum well and quickly, but too opaque visually -- almost impossible to see
through.

Judy