Formaldehyde and Plants

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 01/27/01-04:03:02 PM Z

Hi, I recently read this from a housing newsletter. I don't know if the
information is true or not, but I thought I would just pass it along:

Start of quote:

The Foliage for Clean Air Council says that one potted plant per 100 square
feet of floor space can remove most pollutants from a home. The most common
offender is formaldehyde, found in home construction products and other items
in the home.

Here are some examples of items containing formaldehyde, along with antidote
plants:

- foam insulation: chrysanthemum
- plywood: azaleas
- particle board: diffenbachia
- carpeting: philodendron
- furnitue: spider plant
- clothes: gloden pothos
- paper goods: bamboo palm
- cleaners: corn plant
- water repellents: mother-in-law tongue

Benzene is another offender. Here are the antagonists and cures:
- synthetic fibers: chrysanthemum
- plastics: gerbera daisy
- tobacco smoke: peace lily
- detergents: English ivy