registering paper negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/27/01-11:12:40 PM Z

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> But if you are worry about it, or if it does create a problem, you can tape
> the acetate only on one side (or two sides) of the paper negative instead of
> laying the whole negative on top of the acetate. If you do that, you can use
> also a one-inch clear lith film, for example, and draw some registration mark
> with permanent marker, or use a one-inch exposed lith film and punch two
> holes on it. We should have lots of clear or opague lith film around. :-)
>
> The basic idea is simply to tape the paper negative to something transparent
> which you can put registration marks on.

I tried many times, didn't work. The negative and the paper seem to go out
of sync from just the one end -- whether neg is film or paper. Which is to
say, even as small as 8x10 inches two register marks were NOT ENOUGH! This
may in part be because working that small I tend to use a lighter, hence
wigglier paper -- or whatever, but have never in any size been able to re-
register blind. On the light table I register from the center out -- any
problems go to the outer edges and matter much less if at all, sort of an
old-timey "frilling" effect.

I'm hoping that taping all FOUR SIDES of paper neg to the relatively
stable plastic will make big difference.

Will try it, as soon as I get that great big paper negative -- not yet on
this cosmic plane (surprise !).

Judy