Re: Choosing a printer

From: Dave & Adina Ewaldz (ewaldz@execpc.com)
Date: 01/29/01-04:50:02 PM Z

Juan Riera wrote:

> Hello,
> I am just coming to digital printing, and I am looking for a inkjet
printer
> that fits my needs.
> These are: colour printing, archival inks, A3 max, high (highest)
> definition, not much printing but only best work.
> I have seen several Epson printers that fits in my price range target:
1160,
> 1200, 1270, 1520.

Juan, for definitive info and a list of many resources start here:

http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/

I will try to answer your questions based on my experience,
but I suggest you refer to the above link for more info, rather the the
ALT photo list, which is inherently non-digital, except for inkjet
negatives.

> I have noticed several differences I am sure you can help me to correctly
> assess:
> - 1200 has a 6 ink printing system - żalways better that 4?

When printing color images, the 6 color 1200 has a small edge over the 4
color 1160.
The wider color gamut from the expanded 6 color set allows for more natural
transitions
between color areas and more subtle gradiants

I have compared images from the two side by side, and the 1200 is a little
better than
the 1160, but not by much believe it or not. The 1200 is also quite a bit
more expensive.

> - 1270 has a microchip cartridge recognition, as the 2000P - does it
prevent
> for using ie Lyson inks?

That is correct. However it is rumored that some aftermarket ink suppliers
are
working on ways to circumvent the microchips, but don't hold your breath.

> - All them prints to 1440x720, but different ink injectors: 48 to 128 B&W,
> 3x48 to 5x48 colour - does it make a real difference between different
ones?

The 1200 has 10 picoliter nozzles and variable droplet size.
The 1160 has 4 picoliter nozzles and variable droplet size.
The small drop size explains why the 1160 quality is very close to the 1200.

Note that 4 picoliters is quite a bit smaller than a human hair!
Epson has new printers coming out that have 2 picoliter drop size.

> - 1520 shows as a real CMYK - not the others?

The 1520 has 10 picoliter nozzles, a fixed droplet size, and does not even
compete!
I have a 1520 at work, and my 1160 at home prints circles around the 1520.

With CMYK, this is how all the printers work:
The graphics application (Photoshop, etc) sends RGB data to the Epson print
driver which then sends CMYK data to the printer.

The only way one can send CMYK data to an Epson is thru a specialized driver
called a RIP, which is usually very expensive.

> Can - will you reccomend one of them? I am an old b&w and cibachrome
> photographer recycled to digital. I am used to see good b&w photos, but
not
> a single colour photograph really appealing (I don't like ciba
> medium/surface...), so I am exploring high quality colour printing.. with
> limited budget!

With digital today, you can get very good results on a budget.
However, high quality color output that rivals Cibachrome from your desktop
inkjet printer?
This is highly variable. This depends on paper used, and also how high the
resolution your
input image is.

In the <$400 price range for high quality color output, I would go with the
1200 if it were me,
and you can then use after market inks, not just Epson's.

I am very happy with my 1160 though, but I do mostly quadtone printing.

> Thank you in advance - I keep reading your postings and learning with it!
>
> Regards,
> Juan

Good luck,

Dave Ewaldz