digital gum negatives (was: Re: Shooting for Alternative Processes)

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 07/01/01-09:16:35 AM Z

In a message dated 07/01/2001 6:23:20, info@jacquesverschuren.nl wrote:

<<So how do you get on with the 1160? Will it output A3+? Do you work on paper
negs? I can make an appointment at the Dutch Epson centre and bring my own
media,>>

Jacques,

I don't think the Epson folks will suggest the following and I'm not sure the
Cone inks/software are available for your particular model printer. You can
check at www.inkjetmall.com for the info. I use Pictorico OHP transparency
material. I believe it is available in 13" wide rolls. Pictorico also has a
website which lists the available product specifications.

The combination of the 1160 and Cone Piezography inkset/Photoshop export
plug-in produces a very fine output and the "dot" is nearly invisible. At
least to the degree where the gum printing process (i.e., watercolor paper
texture, etc.) masks it.

I also apply a curve to the output which produces a very flat negative and
compresses the image data to print 6 steps of a Stauffer 21-step wedge using
my usual mix of Daniel Smith or Linel watercolor pigments and potassium
dichromate gum emulsion. (Your mileage may vary.) Multiple layers are
needed to build the print density, but I haven't noticed any posterization in
the images (2) I've made so far. This curve is still preliminary, but seems
to work fine. The only caveat is the inks on the printed transparency are
very fragile, almost like a thin powder deposit. The Cone ink dries very
quickly, but is easily removed through any abrasion. I've solved this
problem by spraying the surface of the printed transparency with two light
coats of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic. I apply a fine mist from a distance
of about12", let it dry and repeat the application. This method imparts a
very slight frosted texture to the negative (which does not show up in
printing but perhaps diffuses the image slightly, again helping to mask any
dot) without causing the inks to run or bleed.

If you are interested, I've uploaded a .jpg showing the curve in the PS
dialog box and the result applied to an image file. The URL is:

http://members.aol.com/kallitype/curve72.jpg

The image originally was a carefully (and tediously) constructed grayscale
digital step wedge with each square increasing by 1% and running from 0% to
100% in value. The image shows the result of applying the curve to this step
wedge. The Input-->output levels of the curve are:

0-->35
26-->46
52-->56
76-->65
102-->85
128-->97
153-->118
179-->143
205-->172
229-->211
255-->255

I've only used this system for a couple images, but it seems very promising
and I like the results much better than any of the other methods I've used to
create digital negatives. This is how I'm making the negatives at the
present time. I've never done the stochastic imagesetter route or waxed
paper negatives.

Hope the information is helpful.

Joe