Re: keeping on topic

From: Thor Bols (thorbols@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/10/01-01:51:28 PM Z

Frivolity? It depends on what you DO with you inkjet printer. Jeffrey has
selected the "photo" half of "alt-photo" to use as his filter, citing
photosensitivity as a requirement. Fair enough. But I have always looked
more at the "alt" half. Most of us here use alternative processes, but even
if we DO use silver-gelatin we might use it in novel ways. There are novel
ways to use the inkjet printer, as well. Richard Sullivan recently
mentioned a woman that was using inkjet printers to print on some kind of
mica covered paper. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty "alt" to
me, and it doesn't soundfrivolous.

As for me, I like to load my Epsons up with cyanotype or Van Dyke Brown
solutions (sometimes both at once), and then just dry, expose, and develop
the result. Its an easy way to make a true "alt print" without having to
mess with a negative.

BTW, if anyone decides to try this, make sure you flush your print heads
very liberally when you're done. Those salts are very mean to printers!