keeping on topic

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 07/10/01-07:49:18 AM Z

Bob Maxey wrote:
> >>Does anyone consider inkjet prints to be alt-photo?
> ... To answer your question, ALT is anything other than conventional silver
> systems we have had for decades. Ink-jet is an Alternative process in my
> view. ...

To the contrary, I feel that one should consider also the second part of
alt-photo. And that is the photographic ability of the process.
Ink-jet is not a photographic process. So even though one may wish to
claim Ink-jet as an Alternative process, it is still not an
Alternative-photographic process.

That the final print is produced by a photo-sensitive process should be
an important criteria for the limitation of discussion to keep this list
focused. Otherwise any printmaking, painting, or drawing process could
be discussed ad infinitum.

And yes there are elements of these other arts which may be used in
arriving at an alt-photo, but should be discussed only as they pertain
in their application.

As example: I certainly feel that Ink-jet as a component of producing an
alt-photo print (such as a digital negative) can be of worthy discussion
on the alt-photo list, but Ink-jet prints as a final product is really a
topic for another list.

But the Ink-jet lovers should not be chastised too harshly, for they
have hardly contributed as much gibberish as those turf-ego-echo
warriors.

And why should it be important to keep the list focused? Because there
are many individuals bringing valuable information, advise, and
questions to this list with the expectation of a professional forum
focused on the topic of alt-photo.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/