Sodium Metaborate

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 07/15/01-06:55:05 AM Z

Hi

I'm curious about what Sodium Metaborate does with regard to Pyro
development.

I've been using Rollo Pyro with 5x4" negs in a Jobo CPE2 and 5x4" drum.
However, I now need to process 10x8" negs, and have been having a few
problems.

I thought I would try a 10x8" print drum on my Jobo (to save the expense of
buying an Expert drum and/or a CPA/CPP processor). The first attempt
produced negs where the anti-halation layer wasn't sufficently cleared. I
re-fixed in a tray and rinsed, and it got rid of the marks, but I wasn't too
happy about the results.

The next time, I removed the drum from the processor about one minute into
the initial sodium metaborate bath and also one minute into the development,
and rocked the drum laterally whilst turning it. By this I hoped to acheive
chemicals getting behind the film with a bit of agitation, and sure enough -
no anti-halation layer was left. However, there seemed to be uneven
development around the areas of the ribs in the print drum - there are a
couple of noticeable lines from top to bottom on my prints.

The next thing I thought about trying was a tray pre-soak, but am not sure
whether to do this in a tray of just water before transferring the film to
the drum and to the first sodium metaborate bath, or whether to do the
sodium metaborate bath in a tray, and go straight into development when the
film is transferred to the drum. From this, I wonder if the time in the
sodium metaborate or water is critical, or whether I could pre-soak each
film separately.

If this doesn't work, I'll need to try tray processing with PMK Pyro, but I
suspect that could be fraught - I would also have to travel to a darkroom as
I don't have the facilities for multiple tray processing at home.

David Nash