Re: Sodium Metaborate

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 07/16/01-11:23:52 AM Z

With all that trouble using the Jobo, what stops you from tray development
and developing by inspection?

The anti-halation dye washed off because it will wash off with any liquid.
Water, as a pre wash is standard.

Additionally, to do a pre wash as pre wetting in the process of tray
development, it makes the film slip with no cohesion, emulsion damage while
shuffling film.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA

PS
The SOD metaborate extends the activity of the
developer, and in fact this runs contrary to the old pyro negatives which
were made using a formula that didn't leave a stain. They thought the stain
was 'dirty' and in fact, they were right.

Pyro developer formulas are successful because of the sensitivity of the
developing agent, pyrogallolic acid; and various users determined the
accellorators and restrainers produced different results. Current pyro
trends are mostly popular for alternative to silver gelatin printing
techniques.

Let me know if anybody wants toknow more about tray development by
inspection using pyro.