Re: Darkroom sink coating?

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 07/16/01-11:54:13 AM Z

James Young wrote:
> A while back sink building was discussed and someone mentioned a
> cheap coating for plywood.

I have a plywood sink.
I have tried epoxy paint, silicone sealer, Elastoseal (roofing material)
and the sink has continued to develop leaks over time. I fix it, it
eventualy leaks. Even today I have a tray in place to catch drips. It
seems that no mater how well constructed, any joints will eventually be
penetrated by the chemicals used (film and Pt/Pd in my case). I am now
considering a seamless plastic liner (home made from a large thick
plastic drop cloth, the only joint being where the drain goes through),
however the fiberglass suggested by Steve Procko seems like a good way
to go for durability. Steve may fill us in as to how well his
fiberglass sink has stood up against what acids and processes (it would
be much appreciated).

And for those considering stainless steel for Pt/Pd, forget it. The
stainless will not only become "stained" with Pt/Pd but will eventually
be pitted (small holes). I once used a stainless steel film developing
can to warm my metal solutions on a coffee warmer (not the sensitizer).
Just from the small residual solutions that escaped the dropper bottles,
some small holes were formed. I found out when the can eventually
leaked one day. Now I use a ceramic cup.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/