Re: Darkroom sink coating?

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 07/16/01-02:25:06 PM Z

Hi:

For work I had to make 4 large overflow trays for some flow through
aquariums set ups. They were 11 ft long 3.5 ft wide and 6 inches deep.
These have been used for 2 years now with no leaks. Essentially large
shallow sinks.

I used a plywood base and lined it with 1/8 inch rigid PVC sheet. This is
the same stuff plastic drain pipes are made of. It comes in large sheet in
a variety of thicknesses. I had a local plastics shop form the sheet into
long U shapes (with overhangs as well). Their bender was only 8 ft long
so I had to join two together for each sink.

PVC sheet can be formed with a small heater. The plastics shop have a big
line heater where they can heat a straight line in the plastic and bend
the plastic where it has been heated.

AScii text drawing below

--| |--
  | |
  | |
  |__________________________________________|

I had them cut end pieces as well. I glued them on. The shop could have
done this, but we were trying to save money

I drilled holes in these for drains. The drains were not flush with the
bottom, but since these were overflow tanks they never had to be
completely drained.

A plastics shop could likely form a seat for a flush drain - though it
would cost more. You may be able to do this with a heat gun as well.

This plastic can also be heated up to the "bending point" with a heat gun.
The adventurous do-it-yourselfer could buy a sheet of pvc and try to line
their own sink - as long as its not too big.

I don't need anything this big yet - I'm just using a plastic laundry
sink.

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2