Re: Darkroom sink coating?

From: Tod Gangler (artandsoul@mindspring.com)
Date: 07/16/01-06:34:49 PM Z

Hello sink-builders,

Gordon wrote:

>I used a plywood base and lined it with 1/8 inch rigid PVC sheet.

I built my lab sink for pigment-transfer (carbon) printing this same way.
My sink is about 14 feet long and about 3+ feet deep. The PVC material
comes as gray 4x8 foot sheets, in either 1/8 or 1/4 inch thickness. I
built a plywood sink shell, then carefully cut pieces of PVC for the liner.
The plastic pieces were attached together by welding with a special plastic
welder tool that feeds and melts a plastic rod into the seam or joint one
is trying to build. I rented this tool and tried to teach myself how to do
it, but charred up a lot of rod and even some of my nice PVC sink wall
before giving up and hiring a fellow who finished the whole job beautifully
in about half an hour.

The PVC has excellent resistance to most acids and chemicals, but special
care must be taken for design of a sink where one plans to use lots of
alternating hot and cold running water, like in carbon printing. The PVC
material must be well fastened to the plywood sink shell to prevent the PVC
liner from buckling and cracking at the joints the first time one runs a
lot of hot water.

Best wishes,

Tod Gangler