Re: Combi Tanks

From: Guillermo (penate@home.com)
Date: 07/18/01-03:24:51 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Healy" <mjhealy@kcnet.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 11:24 PM
Subject: Combi Tanks

> I have used the tank extensively for about a year. Probably I would use a
> Jobo if I could
> afford one, but the Combi is fine.

Combi works OK for me too. My only complains were: how long it takes to fill/empty the tank and how messy the operation was. The reason for both problems is that the liquid going into the tank and the air inside the tank and being displaced by the liquid going in meet and interfere with each other at the lid's spout. I follow a different method to fill/empty the tank that IMO is an improvement, here is that procedure:

- Replace the tank and lid spout's rubber gaskets, the originals (in my tank) were made of hard material and did not make a good seal. Use garden-hose gaskets. (this is an optional step)

- Tighten very well both spouts, yes even the top one, as you will never again have to loosen it to fill the tank.

- After loading the film inside the tank, place its lid so both spouts are on the same side of the tank.

- Place the tank on a flat surface, making sure the tank's spout faces up

- Remove both spout's caps, place the funnel on the tank's spout and fill the tank through it. The air displace by the liquid going in leaves the tank through the lid's spout without restriction.

- To empty the tank, do it in the usual way.

Give it a try,

Guillermo