Combi Tanks

From: Michael Healy (mjhealy@kcnet.com)
Date: 07/17/01-09:24:49 PM Z

I have used the tank extensively for about a year. Probably I would use a
Jobo if I could
afford one, but the Combi is fine. I can't refute criticisms absolutely, but
I **have** found
that most of them declined to provide their context. EG, with Delta 100 in
HC-110,
I certainly did get uneven development. This turned out to have nothing to
do with fillng
and draining times per se. Instead, it was their length in relation to
HC-110B's relatively short
developing time of 6 minutes for Delta 100. Subsequently I have used Rodinal
w/ great success,
and also HC-110E (an increase to 9 minutes of developing time). I suspect
that anyone
flat-out blaming the fill/empty times hasn't figured out the nature of their
problem.

As for agitation, I have never had a problem with my method. Again, I would
be inclined to
question such remarks closely. EG, with which developer? What developing
time? Exactly
what methods proved to be problematic? I follow Ilford's recommendation: 10
seconds per
minute. Never had a problem with it.

My one gripe about the Combi is that a sheet sometimes becomes disengaged
during
agitation. When I open up the tank, I find the sheet plastered to the wall
of the tank.
This virtually never happens from original loading, but usually during the
hypo-clear.
That is, if I troubled to pull out a sheet to examine it after I'd fixed it.
So it seems to be
a problem with my lazy RE-loading...

Mike Healy