Re: buying a jobo processor

From: e n (emanmb@yahoo.com)
Date: 07/20/01-12:52:59 PM Z

--- Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@earthlink.net> wrote
> I am thinking of buying a Jobo drum for processing 8
> x 10 negatives. What
> should I look for? Is it true that you can buy the
> motorized base
> separately from other manufacturers to save money?
> Or is it better to use
> the Jobo base?
>
> --shannon

I have been using the CPP 2 for 5+ years and would not
want to use a motor base. I'm sure it works fine but
the CPP2 temperature control feature, ease of adding
and dumping chemistry, and rotation speed control
makes it worth the expense to me. Especially since I
do 5 to 10 film runs a week. Having the Jobo also
allows for processing of roll films in different
tanks.

Some downsides of Jobos are when they break down,
which eventually happens w/heavy use, Jobo charges an
arm and a leg for the repairs and parts. Otherwise
they give good support and are knowledgable
folks...one of the sales reps (Sam Proud) last time I
spoke to him, was experimenting with Rollo Pyro.
Also, the machines need some small maintenence such as
keeping the water tank free of algae, which will grow
if water is left in there for long periods. An
overnight soak in their system cleaner and light
scrubbbing w/a bristle brush takes care of that.

Eric Nelson
Chicago, Ill.