Re: school ventilation

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/22/01-03:50:43 PM Z

Shannon, I don't know what things are like in the state of Texas (don't
think that's a good topic right now), but in State of New York a call to
OSHA can shut a school down. Mine was fined $22,000 a few years ago for
improper storage of chemicals.

You may not want to do that, for numerous reasons, but the threat may be
more effective than mere sickness. I'd add the obvious -- given the paper
trail you presumably have on this problem, you can get the school's
insurance cancelled. Hasn't ANYBODY in this supposedly litigious country
threatened a lawsuit ? Also it might not be too far fetched to question
the school's accreditation.

Nobody wants to harm their school.... but these decisions or non-decisions
are being made (usually) by men in suits who sit in clean offices with
windows. They may need a wake-up call.

I've mentioned this before, but repeat here, could certainly be true:
Photographers have 1/3 higher cancer rate than population at large.

As for getting the trays covered, yeah, I know what you mean. One strategy
that really did help is appoint student "monitor" either for semester
(extra credit) or each class at beginning. THEY turn out the lights, so to
speak, and if the tray isn't covered, have to answer for it. I found that
at first that kind of rule was like spitting into the wind, but when you
lay it down HARD in the first class, and keep on it, after a while it
becomes the norm and compliance is much improved, students even remind
each other.

At least (presumably) they're not smoking in the classroom????

good luck,

Judy