Re: A couple gum questions...

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/24/01-12:41:46 AM Z

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, lva wrote:

> Judy, some days ago you mentioned the pictorialists printing in black
> and adding different color to highlights and shadows.
>
> Do you know in which order they used to print?

> Did they print the highlights first and then gradually proceed to the
> shadows, or vice versa?
>
> Greetings from Sweden

They were totally all over the map just like we are. I grabbed my 1939
Anderson. He says, "Some workers elect to print for the shadows first,
then for the half tones and finally for the lights, but the writer prefers
to follow the order given above, since the other method results in the
shadows of the first printing and the half-tones of the second being
covered by a gradationless layer of pigment resulting from the
overprinting of the thinner portions of the negative in the later
coatings."

I generally agree (if I may be forgiven the first-person pronoun which of
course was NOT good form in days of yore). I aim for the highlights first
to keep from obscuring the shadows with an allover coat, but sometimes an
allover coat has a dandy effect (tho not necessarily on demand).

greetings from Morton Street,

Judy