Earth Pigments was: Re: making casein

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 07/25/01-02:38:20 AM Z

I think it would be very difficult to grind privately collected
earth/clay/stones from open sites fine enough, or get it pure enough to
produce usable pigments. Also, the powder may have a quite different colour
from that of the geological formations from which it was collected. Some
pigments used by painters have also, as far as I can see, too little
covering power to be of much use for colloid processes.
But I have another question: there are warnings in the literature against
the use of chomeoxyde colours (greens). Why should they be avoided, because
of reactions with the dichromate? And, has anybody used such colours with
success? I quite like some shade of these pigments, and would like to try
them.

Lukas