bleach/etch mordancage

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/29/01-09:26:31 AM Z

Came across another reference to bleach/etch/mordancage. It is in Darkroom
Basics and Beyond by Hicks and Schultz (2000, p. 116-118). They recommend
buying a readymade bleach etch solution by Fotospeed or Tetanal instead of
mixing one's own, which to me is not necessary as it is easy to mix the
solution oneself, and not terribly pricey.
     Anyway, there are some examples of the different effects produced by
the process in relation to whether one does it in room light or under
safelight, *before* fixing. Under roomlight, with the redevelopment after
bleach/etching, you get a solarized image. Under safelight you have the
traditional etch look that looks negative. Neither have the mostly positive
wavy emulsion attached that is part of the mordancage look. But the idea of
solarizing it in the process is appealing.
     Anyway, just thought, Jonathan Bailey et al, you might be interested in
this other reference. And, someone on the list said that one could
substitute copper sulfate for the copper chloride required in the bleach
etch solution. Is this true? I ordered a lb of copper s. and it is about
$8, compared with copper chloride that is about $90 (gasp) for the same
amount, and will test it, but if some chemist could tell me why the two
would be interchangeable I would appreciate it. OH, and also (my chemistry
disability will now show more) what exactly is the dif between sulfate and
sulfite and are they weight for weight and in all other details exactly
interchangeable?
Chris Anderson
(who just spent the last month only lurking and FINALLY getting her email
addresses squared away--no longer tracez@mcn.net but now zphoto@montana.net.
This is NOT an alt ego)
(who also had a great time at APIS meeting some of these alt people in
person! Howard Efner, Don Bryant, Ernestine Ruben, Sarah Van Keuren, Ralph
Rinke, Joe Sarff, Sandy King, Tori Nelson, Jan Pietrzak, names too numerous
to mention--and they all actually exist!)