Re: A couple gum questions...

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 07/29/01-08:16:35 AM Z

Judy wrote:

(snip)
> Is the B&S gum perhaps very light in color? I'm not sure how much
> difference in performance that makes, but at least in the case of the
> Winsor Newton, seems to make big difference in price.

I use gum purchased from graphic arts dealers. My first batch, manufactured
by Varn, worked just fine. When I finished that 1 gallon jug, I bought gum
made by Anchor. The Anchor product was much darker, somewhat like maple
syrup. It didn't work as well as the Varn product. I had problems with
staining and blotchy, uneven images. So I tossed it and went back to Varn.
That's the extent of my gum experience.

As for finding a suitable black pigment...... I've tried nearly ten
different blacks, with varying results. My favorite is "Carbon Black,
Ultrafine" (powder) from Photographer's Formulary. Mixed at 1 gram per 100
ml of gum, a little bit goes a long way. It provides clean, smooth tones,
and excellent covering power. It's really cheap too. I have a lifetime
supply, purchased for less than $5.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy