Re: A couple gum questions...

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/29/01-11:54:59 PM Z

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Dave Rose wrote:

> I use gum purchased from graphic arts dealers. My first batch, manufactured
> by Varn, worked just fine. When I finished that 1 gallon jug, I bought gum
> made by Anchor. The Anchor product was much darker, somewhat like maple
> syrup. It didn't work as well as the Varn product. I had problems with
> staining and blotchy, uneven images. So I tossed it and went back to Varn.
> That's the extent of my gum experience.

Dave, I've heard of Varn, but never found it sold. Would like to try it.
Any suggestion of source?

> As for finding a suitable black pigment...... I've tried nearly ten
> different blacks, with varying results. My favorite is "Carbon Black,
> Ultrafine" (powder) from Photographer's Formulary. Mixed at 1 gram per 100
> ml of gum, a little bit goes a long way. It provides clean, smooth tones,
> and excellent covering power. It's really cheap too. I have a lifetime
> supply, purchased for less than $5.

I've got a jar of that PF Carbon Black, which DID NOT work.... Maybe you
need the Varn gum to go with it ?

As for color of the gum, I have a REALLY dark gum works pretty much like
the others (bought from Daniel Smith in a year of North African drought, I
was told), even better in a few combos. Which is to say, could the color
difference have been just coincidence...?

cheers,

Judy