Re: A couple gum questions...

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 07/30/01-07:33:33 AM Z

Judy wrote:

(snip)
> Dave, I've heard of Varn, but never found it sold. Would like to try it.
> Any suggestion of source?

Dear Judy,

I didn't see a dealer listing, but you'll find phone numbers on Varn's
website http://www.varn.com The last time I purchased Varn gum (1996), I
bought it from JM Graphics in Linden, NJ.

J M Graphics
931 East Elizabeth Ave, Linden, NJ, 07036
(908) 925-0365

> I've got a jar of that PF Carbon Black, which DID NOT work.... Maybe you
> need the Varn gum to go with it ?

I'm curious - what do you mean by "DID NOT work"? I've used about ten
different black pigments, and they all worked, that is they all produced an
image. I've also had good results with Winsor Newton Lampblack (powder
pigment).

> As for color of the gum, I have a REALLY dark gum works pretty much like
> the others (bought from Daniel Smith in a year of North African drought, I
> was told), even better in a few combos. Which is to say, could the color
> difference have been just coincidence...?

A coincidence is possible/likely. My experience with gum is limited to two
brands - hardly enough to draw firm conclusions.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming