Re: A couple gum questions...

From: lva (lva@pamho.net)
Date: 07/30/01-08:31:46 AM Z

> > > They don't have names?
> >
> > Here's what Dick Sullivan calls it on his webpage:
> >
> > Gelatin -- Deionized Ossein
> > English imported 250 Bloom gelatin that has had reactive
> > substances removed for photographic applications.
> > 50 gm 9.60 (Look Richard, Dick's using grams!)
>

> I'd like to try to repeat your success. I have deionized ossein. I
> assume you used 3%, but did you harden?

Yes, 3%, and hardened with glyoxal.

> I did a bunch of tests with
> the ossein a few years back: it worked better not hardened in most
> combos, others not -- overall, however it almost never made continuous
> tone without brushing, so I dropped it. Maybe it's older & wiser now.
> I'll try again.
>
> Unless maybe you are brushing to clear?

Definitely no brushing. It's 'automatic' development, three trays 10
minutes each, 21 Centigrade, with a little bit of agitation every 5
minutes.

> Most of the lithographer's gums I'm familiar with cost about $16- $17
> a *gallon* (which is 4 litres), tho a litre will last a very long
> time, so if it's really superior, that's not extravagant. Speaking of
> which, I priced the Winsor Newton gum arabic at NY Central the other
> day -- something like $8.40 for 2-1/2 ounces (about 75 ml). Now that's
> a REALLY expensive gum -- tho it did behave at least a little better
> in nearly all my comparison tests... On the other hand, the Daniel
> Smith "premium gum" which was something like $19/litre, wasn't better
> in any test.
>
> Is the B&S gum perhaps very light in color?

Hard to tell. It's the only gum I have ever seen. But it's certainly not
dark. I think one could call it light. It smells very good.

> I'm not sure how much
> difference in performance that makes, but at least in the case of the
> Winsor Newton, seems to make big difference in price.

Though tempted to try the Winsor Newton gum, I'll stick with the B&S gum
and HOPE the next batch of their gum will be the identical stuff.

Greetings

Brahma