Re: A couple gum questions...

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/29/01-12:08:52 AM Z

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, lva wrote:

> > > Both from Bostick&Sullivan.

> > They don't have names?
>
> Here's what Dick Sullivan calls it on his webpage:
>
> Gelatin -- Deionized Ossein
> English imported 250 Bloom gelatin that has had reactive
> substances removed for photographic applications.
> 50 gm 9.60 (Look Richard, Dick's using grams!)

I'd like to try to repeat your success. I have deionized ossein. I assume
you used 3%, but did you harden? I did a bunch of tests with the ossein a
few years back: it worked better not hardened in most combos, others not
-- overall, however it almost never made continuous tone without brushing,
so I dropped it. Maybe it's older & wiser now. I'll try again.

Unless maybe you are brushing to clear?

As for gum arabic, to say "standard gum printer's solution," is like
saying "standard paint." I have several "standard" gums, each of which
performs differently. I wouldn't buy an anonymous gum -- not even from
Bostick & Sullivan. This by the way is a puzzle -- all these gums are not
only nominally 14 baume, I took mine to the lab at school & put them in a
baume-o-meter, and all were indeed 14. Why do they work differently?
Preservative, climate in the acacia grove, method of distilling, of
bleaching, of maybe a little acid added. (I have one old gum smells
distinctly of acetic acid... still works fine.) Which is to say, who
knows?

> Gum Arabic Solution 14 Baume
> Standard gum printers solution. High Quality. Use as
> desribed in Stephen Livick's excellent guide.
> 25 ml 3.09

> Gum Arabic Solution 14 Baume
> 100 ml 4.13
>
> Gum Arabic Solution 14 Baume
> 250 ml 8.25
>
> Gum Arabic Solution 14 Baume
> 500 ml 12.38
>
> Gum Arabic Solution 14 Baume
> 1000 ml 21.00

Most of the lithographer's gums I'm familiar with cost about $16- $17 a
*gallon* (which is 4 litres), tho a litre will last a very long time, so
if it's really superior, that's not extravagant. Speaking of which, I
priced the Winsor Newton gum arabic at NY Central the other day --
something like $8.40 for 2-1/2 ounces (about 75 ml). Now that's a REALLY
expensive gum -- tho it did behave at least a little better in nearly all
my comparison tests... On the other hand, the Daniel Smith "premium gum"
which was something like $19/litre, wasn't better in any test.

Is the B&S gum perhaps very light in color? I'm not sure how much
difference in performance that makes, but at least in the case of the
Winsor Newton, seems to make big difference in price.

Thanks in advance for any further info...

Judy