Re: Cyanotype total failure

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 07/30/01-03:36:57 AM Z

From: "Robert W. Schramm" <schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cyanotype total failure

>Question: Are you using distilled water to mix solutions A and B?
>Have you tested your tap water for pH? Are you washing in tap water?

Yes, using tap water for everything. Not tested, but never a problem I've
noticed.

> From: Robert Lyman <railroad@northweb.com>
> Subject: Re: Cyanotype total failure
>
> Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Apparently, when they go, they
> fast.

Perhaps that is what happened (see below)

From: BobWicks@aol.com

>When you mix the two ingredients your emulsion will only last about an hour
>or two. I wonder if this might be your problem. I keep mine separate until I
>am ready to use them and my chemistry is 4 years old stored in Amber bottles.

Right, I do keep them separate and mix just before coating.

My best guess is that "ryberg" was correct with his guess in a private
e-mail. I think I made a "stupid" mistake (my term, not ryberg's). I suspect
that I carefully measured out my "A" solution, then put the "A" down and
instead of picking up the "B" and adding it in, picked up the "A" again and
measured it thinking it was "B". This does account for the printout image
being too yellow and then washing right off the paper.

A shame, I had coated six full sheets of good paper for 16x20 prints. They
were to be part of an order I have to ship on Wednesday. I couldn't print
over the weekend, because of out of town house guests. So, I should now get
my butt in the darkroom and do these over again!

Thanks everyone for the help.

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com