Re: Pinhole at night

From: Gregg Kemp (gregg.kemp@pinhole.com)
Date: 06/06/01-04:03:40 PM Z

At 04:02 PM 6/6/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I have a student bent on making pinhole photos at night. If this wasn't a
>project due in two weeks, I'd be more optimistic, but he insists this is his
>best idea. So I've gotten some 11X14 HP5 film for his camera -- which
>does make
>very good pinhole images (during the day). I know he will have reciprocity
>failure, but how much extra time at (approx.) f/180 will he need to
>adjust. He's
>smartly working on alleyways which are pretty well lit, he also has a decent
>meter (a Luna Six I think). I've guessed he needs an exposure of 1.5 hours,
>without pushing the film. This comes from a dusty spot in my brain when I used
>to make nighttime images with the same film and adjusting for the (TINY!)
>pinhole aperture.
>
>Anybody out there have any real world experience with this type of situation?
>
>-- Darryl Baird

It depends on what he plans to take a photo of at night. I've had success
with pinhole camera exposures from dusk to dawn in rooms lit by
incandescent light, fireplaces, tv's, etc. And I've tried taking all-night
photos of the moon that showed only a streak in the sky, If he's shooting
a city street with lights and neon signs, the exposure might be
considerably shorter. If he's shooting a close up of a lamp, it might be
very short. It simply depends on the amount of light in the scene. I
never used a light meter for night pinholes, as I have a more casual
approach to image making. But I'm sure there are some techies on the
pinhole discussion list who could offer some advice on the subject.

         http://www.pinholevisions.org/discussion/

- Gregg

Pinhole Visions at http://www.pinholevisions.org
Worldwide Pinhole Photograhy Day at http://www.pinholeday.org