Re: electronic ballasts

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06/20/01-08:11:06 PM Z

At 03:36 PM 06/20/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, ken watson wrote:
>
>> The counter to this are electronic Ballast's . I have not run across any
yet
>> but I do know "Light's of America" was looking at these to lower cost. I do
>> not know if they succeeded. BUT electronics fail, Iron and copper does not.
>>

>Five or more years ago I got a catalog from Motorola and another from GE
>about electronic ballasts. They were both made by Motorola, but GE sold
>them under its own name. The Motorola catalog was so clear and organized I
>rushed out & bought some Motorola stock. Tho now older & wiser, I realize
>that the slicker and glibber & sillier & flashier a report, the more
>likely to make money.
>
>AT THAT TIME, the ballasts were only made for 48 inch bulbs and only for
>the T8 (narrow) size. The plan at that time was for all fluorescents to
>become T8 as it was supposedly more energy efficient. (The plan at THIS
>time is to xxxxxxx??????????? fluorescents, since it has been noticed that
>all contain mercury.)
>
>No BL bulb that I knew of then or since came in that size. Nor have I ever
>heard more about those thumb plug ballasts, despite several inquiries.
>Could never even get a price.
>
>The advantages were, plug in (no wiring), no warm up time, no change in
>temperature over use, no heat generated, no buzz in itself or your radio,
>among others I forget.
>
>The disadvantages were.... I dunno, maybe they could only sell SUVs.
>
>Judy

  FWIW there is a pretty complete primer on flourescent lamps
at:http://www.misty.com/people/don/f-lamp.html
  The identical or nearly identical FAQ appears at:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_flamp.html

  The home page of the above has a lot of interesting stuff on it.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com