Thanks and Alt's place in the world etc.

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/22/01-10:29:44 AM Z

Witho and all,

Thanks for the good wishes.

I think the important thing is that platinum photography and alt in general
are being recognized as being part of the mainstream, so in a sense, it is
an award to platinum and palladium photography and photographers.

A couple of years ago when I was planning the first APIS I was talking to
one of the gallery owners here in Santa Fe about the symposium. At that
time he was not impressed by my vision of APIS saying that he didn't sell
much alt-photography. I was standing and talking to him in his show room
with Annie Leibowitz platinums on one side and David Kennedy's on the
other. Cleary at that time two thirds of the room was platinum. When I
pointed this out the gallery owner sputtered a bit and said "But those are
platinums!" His definition was apparently that alt-photography was weird
processes that don't sell. Twenty five years ago platinums would have been
included as alt. Platinum had clearly become mainstream and in many
collectors minds the well made platinum print has become the standard of
excellence.

I am also a silver printer. I like silver prints. But I can't tell you how
many big time photographers who choose to only print in silver have
expressed annoyance at being asked why they don't do platinum. "Your work
is good enough to do in platinum" will set their teeth on edge.

When B+S started out there were perhaps a dozen serious platinum printers
worldwide. A few years previously there had been a few more supported by
Elegant Images. Anyone remember them? Once EI went in the dumper, a lot of
those printers moved on to other things. I was one of them, though I was
doing mostly Kallitypes at the time.

None of the biggies would sell to me at that time so I started making my
own chemicals and only sold off the excess to support my own habit. Of
course we had a company name, letterhead, and all of that, so I could write
off the losses. At that time, the IRS came down hard on "hobby
photographers." I figured if they tried to label me a "hobby platinum
chemical maker" it could keep their knickers in a twist for a while.
Eventually things got out of control and we were in business. I've loved
every minute of it.

One of the biggest rewards has been getting to meet people in the field.
That is why we do the Platypus Parties and APIS's and why I love hanging
out on various lists and my Discussion Group. I think it is true that
people who have some form of creative output are genuinely more exciting
people to know. We all know that many folks can only talk about last
night's lakers game. Bah!

My peak experience in meeting photography folks? Being invited to a dinner
for 8 with maestro Manuel Bravo of Mexico. Ok, it's gross name dropping but
damn I enjoyed it!

I wouldn't mind sharing a cloud in heaven with him eventually though I
think he is planning for his next 100 years behind his Rollie and I am sure
there are a few folks working on a one-way ticket for me in the other
direction. Come to think about it, the photo-ops there are better than ones
on clouds.

--Dick Sullivan