Re: Mean Spirited Dick

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 06/22/01-02:07:14 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Sullivan FRPS" <richsul@earthlink.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 12:48 PM
Subject: Mean Spirited Dick

> One of the things I do not allow on my discussion group is echo trolls.
Now
> you might ask "What is an echo troll?" Here's how it works. Trolls are
> people who come into a list anonymously just to be provocative. For
> instance an atheist on a Christian List or vice versa. Just there to stir
> up trouble.
> By the way, who are you.

Dick does have a valid point here, I registered a similar question regarding
this individual a few weeks ago when this same question was being discussed.
I recall that one list member claimed the poor individual was being picked
on by me/others. There appears to be need for identification of list
participants - not only for the scenario in question but for assessing the
credibility of the info being posted.

I for one am in favor of knowing about the person engaged in current
discussion, perhaps to the extent that if they don't identify themselves
they should not be allowed to post.

Nick

> Callie Type provokes:
>
> >Congratulations to Dick for this accomplishment. The entire crew at
> >Bostick and Sullivan has always been a joy to work with. Several years
> >ago, when I first joined this list, Dick's wit and advice were a constant
> >plus. But then something happened. Perhaps he joined with the "wrong
> >crowd". In any event, he developed a mean streak and went too far out on
> >a limb with some obviously personally biased shenanigans. At one time
> >forum moderators at his own web list were posting questionable
> >mean-spirited comments directed towards people prominent on THIS
> >list. Hopefully, those times are behind us. I miss the OLD Dick
> >Sillivan, and I hope he takes this proud occasion as an opportunity to
return.