Re: hurray for writers! and Mutiny

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/22/01-02:22:35 PM Z

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, shannon stoney wrote:

> ... For about $30 (I've forgotten how much Dan's book is)
> you get years of somebody's experience and research. You get their BRAIN.
> (Or a facsimile thereof.)
> What a deal!

And you get their company too, a possibly refreshing break from folks you
usually hang out with. Then, when it's over, you can close the cover and
goodbye. No need to put up with their relatives and their peculiar food
habits for the next 10 or 30 years !

And speaking of electronic publishing, the NY Times also had an article
this spring to the effect that most publisher's electronic book plans have
been either shelved or seriously downsized. No doubt improvements will
arrive to make the electronic book experience a more satisfying one, but
prediction of end of the print book reminds me (well at a certain age one
DOES repeat oneself) of a Daily News fall fashion report, 1969: "At last,
denim is over."

> PS. Just read Judy's book, Mutiny and the Mainstream. A lot of work
> obviously went into that one too, and it's very good. Let's all buy each
> other's books! (Actually I read a library's copy of Mutiny. But now I want
> one for my very own.)

Thanks from the heart for the plug, Shannon -- Aside from its origin as
labor of love, Mutiny is a compilation of 222 panels from the golden age
of panel fever (1975-1990). It's been an adjunct to college courses on
"Contemporary Concepts in Art" and still is, tho not as widely. Professors
were thrilled that their students actually read it, made possible in part
because it was conversational & anecdotal, not text-book theoretical.

Typical of the time, it has relatively few photo panels, tho one of
particular note, the "Fireworks panel" of the SPE (Catherine Lord to Bill
Jay) and a couple that trace the change from "straight" to "crooked."

Of course a lot has happened in every medium since then, tho it's
surprising how much of the groundwork was there -- more than a few folks
who later became stars were glad to be asked to speak on a panel & explain
their hearts out while we sat on the floor in a Soho gallery (when Soho
was rickety lofts with rat poison on the landings, no Pottery Barn or
Armani). Of course there was a lot of dumping on Clement Greenberg, but
that was recreational.

Now I admit, I have a shelf of them in original shrinkwrap I'd love to
clear out to make room for more Post-Factory. The publisher sold them at
$22 (priced low so students could afford). It's a *large* book with a
30-page index, which I still use to spell a name or look up a dishy quote:
$10 plus $2.50 shipping direct from the editor.

Full title is "Mutiny and the Mainstream: Talk That Changed Art,
1975-1990." And by the way, it did, it really did change art.

Write me OFFLIST for the full blurb from back cover and other relevant
particulars.

Judy