Lessons learned

From: Richard S. Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/26/01-08:34:56 PM Z

Nick,

To do what I was accused of doing is one sleaziest, nastiest, underhanded
things I can imagine. On-line talk does not have the body language and
facial expression that we use to know when someone is kidding or just
thinking rhetorically. I then take it that you were just wondering out
loud, an example more of bad judgement than malicious intent. I am not a
double agent. You're excused.

Wondering out loud as to who might be Callie is also dangerous. If and when
solid evidence and not circumstances are in hand, let it be.

As for Callie Type of whom I had immediate suspicions and warned about
several times, has apparently turned out to be a troll. Live and learn. No
fear, he will be back. Maybe next time as Georgia Peach or some such
moniker, or maybe as the real Deb Johnson, housewife from Muncie Indiana or
wherever. Beware, be careful. Be very careful.

I have no problem with anonymous posts under a pseudonym as long as then
don't become provocative. I am usually my sweet cuddly self until I get bit
by a snake in the grass and then I want to stomp the shit out of it. Callie
is a bona fide snake in the grass. The monitors here should have pounced on
him the minute he posted that nasty comment a few weeks ago. It was clearly
designed to inflame the list.

I was contacted by Jewelia Cameroon a while ago. She was in a rage because
she had left the list and then comes to find out she was still posting
messages in her postmodern rambling gender bending style. Someone here had
assumed her name and personality. It was cleverly in her style, but it was
done in a manner to discredit her. It was bizarre and at the time I
wondered about it. Jewelia had only recently stayed with us in Santa Fe and
though she was going through some changes, she seemed to be pretty stable.
(Jewelia's life and changes have been openly portrayed in her performance
art so I am not betraying any confidences.) She seemed rock solid in fact.
I think we now can make the assumption that Callie struck again.

Never ever post a me too "chime-in" to an anonymous flame bait post. When
someone starts name calling, let it be. If it is an anonymous person as
Callie clearly was, then don't even think about going near it. If you don't
consider "mean spirited" to be name calling, then seek help immediately.

I too made a big mistake by jumping on Callie's post. I should have ignored
it, but I am human (which I know is debatable in some circles) and found it
hard let someone make false innuendos about my past. Silence is often
thought of as affirmation. It is hard to sit by and let it pass. It takes
more maturity to do that than I possess. I only wish.
Part and parcel of any intellectual discourse is the critique of ideas.
There is a big difference between disagreeing with technical or
philosophical ideas in posts, writings, web sites etc, and denigrating the
person making or challenging those writings. Some people fail to see the
difference. I feel pretty bad if I post something technical and someone
challenges it, even worse, perhaps even mortified, if they are right. Human
nature at work again.

Just like Santa Fe, another storm another day.

Cheers.

--Dick Sullivan