Pyro and variable contrast paper

From: Bill Collins (photo@intrex.net)
Date: 03/12/01-11:30:34 AM Z

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I figure we might have the world's largest collection of pyro users here.

I have some negatives developed in pyro (thanks to John Roseborough) that I have been printing on Ilford Multigrade paper. I would like to print these in pt/pd sometime, but I'm not set up to do that right now.

I have noticed that many of my negatives (especially the ones with a lot of pyro stain) print very flat with no filter and often need a number 4 or higher filter to print well, even though the negative looks very contrasty. The grade 5 filter produces an EXTREMELY contrasty print.

So, a few questions:

- I have prints that seem to need more contrast than the 4.5 filter, but the 5 causes a HUGE increase in contrast (I assume the pyro stain lowers the contrast grade of the fiter, until I reach the top end) I'm going to try exposing for half the time through the 4.5 and the remaining time through the 5, to see if I can get an intermediate grade. Anyone tried this?

- I have heard the the pyro stain should interact with the VC paper to produce great prints without much dodging or burning. I assume this would work best without a printing filter?

- If so, I may need negatives with less stain, since my current negatives print very flat w/o a fiter. Any comments?

- Can anyone recommend a film that works well for pt and silver printing, using pyro. Right now, I'm using HP5+ and PMK pyro.

Bill