Re: "Sabbatier" of Palladium

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 03/23/01-11:16:11 PM Z

Ginger, You have gotten some fine advise. I do however, feel a need to fill
in some information for you. ( the whys) and ask more what's.

There may not be always and nevers but there are some almost always and I
have yet to see.

A coating that is thin is faster than one that is thicker but it will
produce a poor black ( read as will look brown or bronze will a reasonable
amount of exposure).

Palladium is faster than platinum at high humidity, platinum is faster than
palladium at low humidity. Adding platinum will help to balance the
exposure.

If one coating was fine and both were made with cool chemistry, I doubt that
cool chemistry is the problem. How cold is Florida cold? 60F

I would be more interested in RH of paper. Did you use any methods to adjust
RH or dryness of paper? New environments can feel like home, but as Dorothy
said, There is no place like home.

When was the last time you used this chemistry to make a good print? old
ferric may be at fault.

Did you adjust the amount of coating solution to account for the glass rod
vs velvet brush.

Did you get the paper from B&S as well? Remember that NM has very low RH,
especially in winter. When I left in 1999, winter RH was at 5%. extremely
low.

It could be that your solution had an apparent change in concentration. Did
you shake them prior to use? How long did they sit? Is the palladium
fresh? I have used packaged chemistry that came with the wrong amount in
them. We all make mistakes, so just because it came from somewhere else
don't assume that it is OK.

Did you let the solution soak in the same way as in the past? Are you using
a hair dryer? You may have gotten it too hot.

It would help if you had give us (me) more of a procedure that you used.

Does your velvet brush have water in it? how much? could it make you
solution more dilute giving you a thinner coating ? It could be that it IS
time to change your brush. It may be that it has just gotten to much use.
Hard to say without seeing it. Since it and the rod did the same thing
however... I suspect bad or old ferric

Do a test on it. Jeffrey has a good procedure on his site.

your with more questions..

EJ Neilsen

Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9