"Sabbatier" of Palladium

From: Ginger Sheridan (sheridan010@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/23/01-11:39:55 AM Z

I have been printing Palladium for years. I use B&S kits, a velvet brush. I
have had no problems. This week I coated a new batch of paper, using a
glass rod. I coated it at school, which means I did not have as clean a
space as at home - but I was careful.

When I developed the prints, the dark area glowed a sort of metallic copper
color. It did not go away with fixing. I have never seen this before. It is
sort of like Sabbatier. Only in the dark shadow areas are light and
coppery. The rest of the image is fine. I printed another image at the same
time/same conditions which had no shadows. It didn't have any of this effect.

At first I suspected the glass rod (sorry B&S) but then I had a piece of
paper from the same batch that was coated by velvet (I have been using the
same velvet for years, so that is not it). It did the same thing with the
shadow area of the print.

Any insight? It was very cold (for Florida) - so perhaps my chemicals were
cold when coating. Would that have done it? I know of no metal
contamination - nothing I used was metal. Could there be a trace of other
alt processes (cyanotype or Van Dyke or Sprint B&W chemicals) in the
container I used. If so, it would have been minuscule - could that have
done it?

Thanks for any suggestions. I have coating another round and will print
next week to see if it was a fluke.

All the best,

Ginger Sheridan