RE: Color neg film: the epitome

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 05/24/01-10:10:27 AM Z

I use color negative film, exclusively now, for all of my work. There is a
phenomenal range in color negative film, that allows one to "package the
moment" for future manipulation and interpretation. Regardless of whether
the end process is Platinum, cyanotype, full color gum, or even a process
not yet developed, there is sufficient information to be had within the
color negative in order to address multiple alternative process needs,
assuming a good scan has been made and the photographer is adept at digital
manipulation. Using Adobe Photoshop, for instance, one can use the Channel
Mixer to add B&W filter affects (as Dan mentioned). Using Curves one can
tailor-make negatives with contrast ranges appropriate for different
processes. And the "add noise" filter is great for adding that "perfect"
amount of grain.

Processing in-camera negatives, assuming all factors cooperate and the
negative is processed according to plan, still gives the photographer only
one negative. Perhaps fine for the palladium print, but too flat if one
decides to try Salt of Albumen printing. Of course, full color is out of
the question. So rather than specializing in the "one and only perfect
alternative process", the use of color negative film allows the photographer
to remain flexible to whatever process the subject matter might call for.