Re: Re: pt/pd desktop negatives

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 05/27/01-06:00:04 PM Z

In a message dated 05/27/2001 18:27:32, you wrote:

<<I will assume that you do this with the understanding that your negs can
be made over if needed so, the interactions there are between the Krylon
and the Plastic or the plastic and the emulsion? Keep in mind that there
are lots of variables in the procedure you describe, and longevity should
not be assumed.

HCM

I've used the Krylon to protect the surface of other media (charcoal
drawings, gum prints to add gloss, etc.) and have yet to observe any
detrimental effects (yellowing, cracking, color shifts, paper deterioration,
etc.) over several years of use. My understanding of the product is that it
is used by many artists to protect delicate prints such as charcoal and
pastels and I've never heard any complaints about using it except for when a
thick coat is applied hastily and causes the image to bleed. I've always
been conservative in the application using several very light coats and I've
never had a problem with it. I've also never heard any documented concerns
about its archival properties (although there may be some), but that isn't
really a concern here since as you say, a duplicate inkjet negative can be
quickly printed.

Joe