Re: Re: pt/pd desktop negatives

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 05/27/01-05:46:35 PM Z

In a message dated 05/27/2001 18:18:38, nick@mcn.org wrote:

<<Joe, when you referred to having sprayed some film with acrylic, it

occurred to me that it might be possible to spray a piece of clear acetate

and obtain the same effect. I suppose it boils down to whether the spray

was applied before or after printing. I guess my question is, does the

Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray cause the ink to adhere or does it

protect the ink?

The ink (Cone Tech Piezography BW) appears to dry within a few minutes.
Being carbon pigment-based it appears to sit on the surface of the Pictorico
transparency material as a fine powder deposit although some of it obviously
sinks into the coating of the transparency since I can rub off the surface
deposit and still have an image beneath. I apply the acrylic spray after
letting the printed image sit for about a half hour. It doesn't run or
degrade the deposit as far as I can tell, but I haven't had the chance yet to
see if it affects the printing characteristics (i.e., UV transmission). It
causes the image to adhere and makes it quite resistant to scratching, so I
guess the answer to your question is yes on both counts.

I don't know what effect it would have if sprayed before being printed, but
it would give the acetate a fine tooth that perhaps the ink would adhere to.
I'm not getting any ink pooling, bleeding or other problems I've experienced
with other transparency brands when I use the Pictorico OHP material, so
those problems have been eliminated with the setup I am using. The remaining
problem would seem to be building up enough ink density for processes like
VDB, Pt/Pl, cyanotype, etc.

Joe