Re: Piezography Product info

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 05/28/01-12:40:07 PM Z

I must confess I am in a state of blissful ignorance regarding piezography,
but I cannot hold my fingers back from the keyboard...
My general concern is: however good piezography may be, does it not share
with most digital technology the fact that the buyer becomes completely
dependent on the particular possibilities of one industrial product? Prices
are certainly a concern (at least for me!), but this is not all: it looks
to me the artist is turned in a consumer here - and the idea of the "free
consumer" is an oxymoron for me - who is held by the dog-lead of the
possibilities and limits of that particular product.
Note my point is not really about the scope of these possibilities, but
that they are not defined by the artist himself, but by the product makers
and the marketing industry. What happens today is very reminiscent for me
to the ways in which 35 mm camera systems were marketed in the 70ties and
80ties (I think I said this before).

Lukas