Piezography Product info

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/28/01-08:21:42 AM Z

As some of you may have figured out by now, I am/have been seriously
considering investing in the Piezography technology for Epson printers. The
following is a post that I sent to the Inkjet Mall (aka. Piezography - who
owns who here?) regarding their products

There is very little on your site that describes the Piezography products
that you are offering. More specifically, you offer several products for
many of the Epson printers with a "BUY" button but no "INFO" button. I
would really like to know what comes with the #4977 besides Piezography™BW
Cartridge Kit
with software, inks and cleaning cartridges

Does it come with a manual, CD?
Are the cartridges the same as the Epson.
Are they refillable?
If they are, can I buy the ink in bulk and is there a kit for this?
How much ink/many prints does it make?
Is there a picture of it?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Since I made that post on Friday (no reply yet), several more questions have
come to mind:

Does the with/without Piezography graphic illustration
http://www.piezography.com/side-by-side.html apply universally to all the
supported printers (750, 800, 850, 860, 1160, 1200, 1280, 1520, 3000, 7000)
and at what resolution could one expect to perceive such a remarkable
difference? The sample shown is from the 3000 printer (or is it one of the
Series 3000 printers - see below) but fails to indicate the resolution or
what one might expect from their particular printer. The implication here
is that while you could make you printer produce similar results, it could
be that the resolution required would be such that other concerns would
dictate the decision.

1) The printing time could be unbearably long - I might be able to live with
this one.
2) Your currently scanned images (of which I have several hundred with at
least 1-2 hours in each) would all have to be redone - I would have to think
long and hard about that one.

There is some confusion regarding results where it concerns the 3000
printer and the 3000 series of printers (apparrently all of the above except
the 7000), reasonably expected results and the touted capabilities of the
technology on various pages in the website.

Is the product a printer driver or is it a plugin for Photoshop - in other
words if it is a driver could I expect similar results from other graphic
programs.

Do you have to use their inks or could you expect similar results or at
least some improvement using other inks. Their pricing on 4 bottles of ink
is $260 and they don't supply you with how many ounces that is - fairly
steep in my opinion.

Moreso, if you read between the lines on the site, you find that they are
offering to provide/create ICC profiles for your printer/paper. Does this
mean that simply buying the kit/ink is not all you need in order to obtain
the dramatic results pictured in the side-by-side link above.

Joe, I also have some concern about the ink that this system uses. Being a
carbon based pigment and considering the difficulty you are/have been
experiencing, is there reason to believe that other papers/films would
experience similar difficulties? Or, is it just the particular film you are
using?

And Jeffrey, where did you find info about the significant Peizography
capital investment you are considering and how does it differ from the other
products they are offering?

At $335, the cost of this technology
http://www.inkjetmall.com/store/piezography-purchase.html is such that I am
concerned about my expectations not being met. If anyone can enlighten me/us
on any of the above questions, please reply.

The fact that so many questions remain unanswered after a significant effort
to find answers has me feeling a little dubious - you know the adage, "All
that glitters is not gold".

BTW, I reviewed the FAQ's and the tech support pages and failed to answer
any of the questions herein.

Many thanks,

Nick