Re: Field camera necessities

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 05/31/01-10:39:13 AM Z

At 08:22 31.05.01 -0700, you wrote:
>Lukas,
>
>> Now, apart from the large negativs,
>> the composition of the picture on the groundglass is pure pleasure for me,
>> and makes me regularly forget any fatigue from dragging the camera around.
>
>I couldn't agree more, even though a 4x5 and 8x10 have the same aspect
ratio there is something magical (sorry to sound so corny) about composing
on an 8x10 ground glass.

Don,

in fact, "magical" is how I privately describe the quality I am after for
my prints. Why not using somewhat poetic language?

>Of course my friends call me the turtle of photography because I can spend
so much time composing and making a photograph, but oh when you get home
you have that grand negative to work with.

I often take my time, too, but sometimes I am after the light or a changing
scene, and take my picture in 5-7 minutes (from the moment I decide to take
a picture from that spot).

>How do you transport your camera on international flights Lukas?

I check it in, in a hard-cover suitcase (does one say so?) whose inside I
padded with foam for the purpose. I once got spoiled some of my films,
though, which I now invariably carry as cabin luggage.

On the whole, I think when you just do some back-packing, a field camera
drags you down somewhat indeed. For me, its value lies in engaging more
seriously with a given subject. It allows me to record and interpret what I
feel worthwhile in a completely different manner than with any other camera.

Lukas