RE: Kallitype over Cyanotype?

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 10/15/01-01:19:54 PM Z

Subject: RE: Kallitype over Cyanotype?
Sent: 10/15/01 9:27 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
             alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca

>No, I didn't add sizing. I was hoping I'd be able to avoid the sizing
>hassles. I'll run a test the next time I size a batch of paper. Thanks!
>
>Keith

Hi Keith,
 I've never sized either. I have never printed cyanotype or VDB on
paper that I have sized, so I never thought to resize in between the
two processes. My psychic cyber impression from your comments is that
perhaps you exposed the VDB too long and would have gotten a better
result from a shorter exposure. That is unless you are expecting to
find a perfectly smooth coat of brown over blue, without any of the
chemical reactions that take place between the two formulas, where some
places have a bit of bleaching and start to have a 3D'ish looking
sabattier type effect...or where what was a white area in the cyanotype
becomes brown after the second exposure. Or, maybe some streaking of
what was blue becomes shades of green... I have little control, but
then I've never sized between coats...maybe you don't get those effects
with the sizing and it's a perfectly smooth coat? I don't know...
 Here's a sample of what I'm getting, It's only a part scan of the full
image as my prints these days are like this one 17"x22" and don't fit
the scanner bed. This print is lighter in the browns than the one I
framed, but it is what it is.
<http://members.cruzio.com/~omirag/sample.jpg>
 I'm participating in the yearly open studio tour again this weekend
and next, where people buy tour maps and catalogs of artists studio
locations in this county and they drive around from studio to studio.
It takes place over three weekends in October. My VDB over Cyanotype
got a lot of Ooh's, and Ahh's but so far they didn't go home with
anybody, but luckily a few traditional cyanotypes have.
Hopeing you better results next time, and let us know what happens with
the sizing!
garimo