Re: dogma in academia

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/18/01-08:02:16 PM Z

     Damn--another book now I have to buy! (just ordered from Amazon).
     I do agree that Art and Fear is a wonderful book, and even good for
rereading over and over. Few books are like that. I assigned it to my
experimental class last semester as a "must read" but not required and only
one student read it, and she, too, loved it and talked it up big, but no go.
When I myself took experimental photography at MSU it was required reading
and there were only about 4 out of 28 that read it. You can lead a horse
to water but you cannot make him drink.
     Hopefully this one will be as fruitful.
Chris

> i just finished reading a great little book called, "Why Art Cannot be
> Taught: a
> handbook for art students" by James Elkins that describes and analyzes
> all of these
> problems you all have been discussing here.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0252069501/qid=1003428980/sr=8
> -1/ref=sr_8_5_1/107-8162030-7843742
James Luckett