Re: Irridation of USPS Mail...

From: Tox Gunn (tox@remarque.org)
Date: 10/24/01-05:19:24 PM Z

After losing people to anthrax, the USPS seems to be in something
of a tight spot with perception of the public and concerns of
their labor union.

I'd expect to see some portion of the mailstream routed through
irradiators similar to those used in the food industry if the
trial turns out well. One thing that may present some problems
is that I believe that spores of bioweapons are hardier than
more run-of-the-mill bugs like the trichnomiasis found in pork.

As far as delivery of photosensitive materials goes, I don't
know if anyone has thought about it yet. I expect that some
protocol similar to the one used for shipping labelled
biohazards would be an option. "If it's not red-bagged, nuke
it. If it is red-bagged, overbag it and pass it down."

*shrug*

We'll see what inspiration comes from DC...;) Hopefully it
comes to a reasonable solution that doesn't cost us too much.

Tox