35 mm b&w neg by SprintScan

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/29/01-09:27:01 PM Z

Dear mavens,

I'm having a strange problem trying to scan b&w 35 mm negs with the
Polaroid Sprintscan 35 Plus & wondered if anyone has a clue.

I've used this scanner in past & was OK, tho only on chromes, and only
enlarged to maybe 4 inches for Post-Factory. Now I'm trying to go from 35
mm to large NEGATIVE, both for my own use and for P-F "Analog Woman"
article.

I didn't print it out, but image on the monitor is beyond grainy, more
like peanuts on the face, unusable even as 8x10. Since I've printed these
negatives (tri-x and plus X) in silver gelatin up to 16 by 20 inches with
no problem, I'm non plussed.

The software program (I'm still using Polacolor Insight 3, resisting
another download, I confess) has a bug... won't scan in black & white
then bring into Photoshop.... you have to scan in "color", bring to
Photoshop in color, & THEN switch to b&w. Could something in that be the
problem? Or maybe new bug since last use ?

I'll try their tech support, but that's been frail reed in best of
times... (tho maybe I should get that software upgrade while they live?).

First, though, given all the digital mavens on the list, thought it
couldn't hurt to ask...

Hopefully,

Judy